So I get this harebrained idea that I’m going to shock some titanium and get some pretty colors. I searched everywhere for a cleaner called TSP. Turns out that it works great because it kills EVERYTHING, um, including us. Next up, Miracle-Gro. Why Miracle-Gro and/or TSP in the first place? Ammonium phosphate. The titanium needs an electrolyte between it an the cathode that contains phosphates. WAIT! Wikipedia says phosphoric acid is added to soda to give it some zing.
So I rectified a 130v VariAC, cranked it up all the way, dipped my sponge in some Coke, clipped it into the anode, clipped the other end onto the titanium and happily brushed some 130v oxides. Turned it down a touch (approximately 1v) and swabbed again.
On it goes until 126v and BANG! I jump out of my chair. Somehow the dang thing shocks me. I put on rubber gloves and continue making swatches for each volt. At 110v BANG again, but this time I’m not the ground. The lights go out. I reset the breaker, look over the circuitry and find that there’s nothing burnt or shorted, and try to make today’s ring. BANG! Killed the circuit again at 110v.
I’ll continue experimenting, but today’s ring is literally half-baked in Coca Cola.
More to come on this subject.