After degreasing the titanium sheet, I covered it with clear tape, then laser etched the outline of the numbers. If you look closely at the number 6, you can see an anodized line where the tape was etched away on both sides.
The number 3 is the color you get at 45volts DC. I chained five 9v batteries together by linking their crowns to get the 45v. Brush on little cola as an electrolyte with the anode, and bzzzzz – you get color.
Next, I took off one battery. The number 5 is the color of 36 volts.
The six was last. It’s 27v. Had I realized that I’d get the nice contrasty outline where the laser etched the tape, I would have added another battery or two and put an outline color on all the numbers first.
Higher voltage spots of anodized color cannot be colored by the lower voltages as the oxide layer builds to refract light, so you work from highest voltage to lowest when you’re “painting” titanium with electricity.
This is ring number 365, if you hadn’t guessed already. It’s the end of my Ring-A-Day project, but by no means is it the end of me making rings. This creative exploration has re-energized me and shown me what I’m capable of creating within the limits of a daily deadline. Please bookmark this site and stop back often to see our newest creative projects. Thanks for being a part of this exploration.
Early in the Ring-A-Day project, I tried to come up with the most unique setting for a gem, knowing NOTHING about stone setting. After being inspired (or appalled) by some of the crazy items on Regretsy, I decided that a urinal with a yellow gem would definitely be unique. The fire citrine in the base of the urinal was the first gem I purchased after lots of measurements and consulting with John at Moddler.com
. I’d been looking at Shapeways, to print thing #6261
from Thingiverse, but I needed a person to walk me through it. John was great about this. He understood my requirements and printed two pieces of slightly different sizes. I made a mold of John’s 3D printed urinal and then did some extensive modifications, but largely kept the size and shape. I’m really entertained by how it turned out. It’s a size 8 pinky ring.
I kinda understand how comedians work after making this ring. At first, it’s funny enough to inspire you. Then, you learn everything about it. When you’re ready to present it, you can’t see what’s funny any longer. Your audience reminds you what’s funny about it again.
All right, now take the last three rings, add a gem stone, some millgrain to go with the carved texture, and make it sharp. I turned the culet up on this gem since it seems to be in fashion lately to wear spiky rocks. Culets are supposed to be ground flat and parallel with the table, but this one is quite sharp.
Carved a similar style to yesterday, and the day before but in a mens band. Took the technique a little farther and a little smoother. I’m really liking this texture.
Started with a thicker band today and carved away more than yesterday’s Cruel Ring. I also added a ridge to soften the ring a bit. The inside of the band was reduced and rounded by carving into the cylindrical geometry as well. Over all, a more organic design.