Made this heavy BronzClay ring assuming that I had understood what went wrong previously. The ambient temperature was 47F when I turned the kiln on (it’s cold at Resistor on the weekends), so I added 20 degrees and an hour to the regular program — kinda like baking a bigger bird. Well, it looked good out of the charcoal until I hit it with the brass brusher, or maybe I should say the brass crusher. I quenched it when the temperature was around 500F, so that little bit of moisture combined with the bronze powder to make mud in a thin metal shell.
Back to the drawing board on the kiln controller.
I am reading about gems and how they were incorporated into rings in Rome. Accordingly, I’m learning to set and design with stones. It’s a lot harder than it looks. When you see them in a jewelry case, they’re neat and orderly. Your eye can pick up a hairs’ width difference if everything is not perfect.
The prongs on the left are forward by a tenth of a millimeter, and yet you can clearly see it in this macro image. Practice, practice, practice.
Went traditional today. Put two half-round bands together and added 5 crown prong settings.
This mammoth ring needed to have 5 holes drilled into it in order to be wearable by a mere mortal soul. They represent — well, I haven’t made up a story for what they represent. Truth is, 5-hole is already taken. (It means the space between the goalie’s legs in hockey.)
Been reading the history and meaning of rings, as well as visiting the Egyptian and Greek exhibits at our fine museums here in New York. Planning some epic rings in my imagination. For the time being, I’m just happy to have the BronzClay cooperating again.
3mm CZ in a size 10 BronzClay shank.