I started with 12 feet of double wound wire (twist 6 ft halves together, then fold in half and twist again) and wrapped it into a size 4. It only hammered out to a size 5. Not quite as malleable as copper.
Today I started with 18ft of fine brass wire and double twisted it. It went on the mandrel as a size one and ended up at size 5 — perfect for wifie.
I started with a 30 foot piece of copper wire, twisted it, then twisted it again. After that I wound it into a size 4 ring and put it on the mandrel. Somehow it ended up a size 11. I’ll try again with thinner wire and see if I can hit a size 6.
Grrrr. I’m continuing to experiment with roll forming and annealing copper. I’ve also tried some fold forming with a rolling mill. More on these metal mashing experiments to come.
Formed copper ring (and fail on left). Ended up a size 12.