I was getting a lot of deep firescale in my castings, which takes a long time to remove and really kills the shine, so I tried Argentium silver. At first I made castings that were one piece so I wouldn’t have to solder. Today I tried soldering this amazing alloy. I did almost everything wrong, and yet it came out o.k.
Played with wax wire for this casting to make the stone setting. Wax wire is about the same consistency as Twizlers. Ooooh! I should try to cast a Twizlers ring!
Carved a little sterling seat for this interesting cabochon of rutile quartz. I’m starting to see rings as elaborate packaging for rocks.
I found this lovely rutilated quartz stone with a deep pavilion. It was too tall to put into a cabochon; most of the rock would be hidden. So, I decided to carve giant prongs and make it a cocktail ring. The girdle is 22mm and the shank is a size 5.5 in Thai Gold.
It’s a big rock!